I wanted some fun classroom decorations for my younger students and made this at the beginning of the year using the regular paper mache technique.
-Regular sized balloon
-Kitchen paper towels
-Thin tracing paper
-Black permanent marker
-White liquid glue
-Transparent fishing line (for hanging purposes)
-Medium sized multipurpose brush
-Towel or newspaper to cover working surface
1. Blow up balloon to whatever size you want your bug to be.
2. In a container, mix 1 cup water and 1 cup glue (be prepared to make more every time it runs out).
3. Cut up paper towels into approximately 2 x 2 inch pieces. Completely cover balloon by placing piece by piece on its surface and wetting it completely using brush and glue mixture. Once balloon is completely covered with first layer, repeat at least 2 more times, making sure there are no thin areas of paper towel. Allow to dry overnight.
4. To make the eyes, make balls of crumpled up newspaper and tape them to the balloon wherever you want them. Cover completely with at least 3 layers of paper towels and glue, making sure that the base of each eye has a strong layer of paper towel connecting it to the body. If they aren't connected to the body with a strong layer of paper towel, they can fall off!
5. Place whatever amount of straws you want for legs using a piece of masking tape.
6. Cover straws and masking tape with paper towel pieces and glue mixture completely. Again, make sure that the base of each straw has sufficient paper towel to create a strong bond with the body once it dries. Allow to dry overnight.
7. Once bug is completely dry, color using acrylic paint. You can use a pencil to lightly draw lines before painting. Allow to dry.
8. To make the wings, draw them on tracing paper, trace with marker and cut. Paste them wherever you want using a silicone gun.
9. Use transparent fishing line or something similar to hang up. I personally didn't like the idea of making a hole on the body, so I decided to place the string around the body carefully.
Leave a Reply.
is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites
to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
is a participant in the Shareasale.com Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Shareasale.com partner companies.